“I have NOTHING to wear!” How many times have you uttered this phrase or heard it fall from the lips of someone with a closet obviously not lacking in clothes? Of course we all have those “go to” pieces that we always wear but, if you’re like me, you are actually lacking in closet space because it’s filled with things you don’t like and/or don’t wear!
My closet was/is a nightmare; it’s a work in progress. I googled a string of things to help me get started – declutter, minimize, hoarder, decluttering tips for hoarders…and it got ugly, fast. I happened upon a podcast all about living a minimalist life. Okay, great! But what do I do with all the junk I have now?
I felt beyond overwhelmed, as I sat under the piles of things I no longer needed in my life. Then I heard an advertisement for Poshmark.com. Poshmark allows you to buy and sell gently used clothes, shoes and jewelry at a discounted price. So I could clear out some closet space AND made some cash? I’m in!
Most people have things clogging their space. My weakness; clothes, shoes and jewelry. All you have to do is select the items you no longer wear, items that no longer fit or you’re not planning to wear, and most importantly, anything that doesn’t make you feel amazing, then let it go!
Here is a simple checklist I like to use:
- Does it fit? Realistically, it’s okay if something doesn’t fit now, but unless Zac Posen designed the gown for you, just start fresh once you’ve dropped the 10 pounds.
- Is it itchy, does it pull? Is it is uncomfortable? GET RID OF IT!
- When is the last time you wore it? 6 months or more? Unless it is a seasonal or special occasion piece, you’re most likely not going to wear it.
- Does it have a stain or need a repair? Get rid of it. Would you want to meet Jesus in that ink stain shirt? Toss it. Yes, there is an exception to this rule. I have a favorite tee, it’s not something I would want to be interviewed for the evening news in, but it makes me happy. Everyone is allowed one, right? Just try not to wear it a.) if you’re going to meet Jesus or b.) be on the evening news.
- Is the item still YOU? We all go through different phases. Go through old photos, if you laugh and ANY of those clothes are still in your closet, that clothing phase needs to be eliminated.
When you can’t decide whether or not you want to keep something, think of it in terms of money. Would you repurchase the item? If you’re still wishy-washy, you’re staring at potential cash.
As I continue to work my way through my closets, and jewelry box, while making money, I’m also spending less money as I become more discriminating about refilling the space, as it has taken such a great deal of effort to clear.
Not only will you clear your closet, it will also save you time getting ready in the morning, lower the frustration of digging through the items you no longer wear, and help you make some extra cash. Trust me, it’s good for the mind, body, soul…and wallet.